Tuition Policy K-8
St. Mary Elementary and Pope John Paul II Middle Schools are private schools. We charge tuition to help cover educational and operational expenses. Tuition covers a portion of the cost to educate each child with the remaining support coming from Sunday church contributions, donations and endowments. Therefore, parental/guardian commitment to their tuition and fee obligations is crucial to the school’s continued operation and vitality. In order to meet our financial obligations, it is necessary that tuition and fees be paid in a timely manner.
As it is the responsibility of the St. Mary Parish Finance Council to ensure that adequate financial resources are available for the school, tuition is determined each year based upon the funding needed to operate the school. Affordability for families is also a significant consideration.
Tuition for the current year is available in the school office or on our website. View by clicking here .
Parish Member Discount: For families who are registered, active and contributing members of St. Mary (or St. Lawrence for those attending Pope John Paul II Middle School.)
Multi-Child Discount: For parishioner and non-parishioner families with more than one child attending St Mary Elementary or Pope John Paul II Middle School.
- Book and Activity Fee: For all new and returning K-8 students, book and activity fees are to be paid in full at the time of
registration. Fee amounts for the current year are available in the school office or on our website. View by clicking here .
- Book Fee -The book fee for each child covers textbooks, workbooks, software and instructional materials for the school year. The non-refundable book fee is due at the time of registration. This fee is not prorated if enrollment occurs later in the school year.
- Activity Fee -The activity fee for each child covers anticipated field trips and incidental fees associated with educating your child such as tennis, bowling and skate rental incurred as part of the academic curriculum. The non-refundable activity fee is due at the time of registration. This fee is not prorated if enrollment occurs later in the school year.
Tuition Payment Options
All families are expected to make tuition payments according to one of the following payment plans. Families may choose one of two options for the payment of tuition.
- Full Payment – Book and activity fee due at time of registration with the remaining tuition paid on or before June 8th.
- Monthly Payment – Book and activity fee due at time of registration with the tuition paid monthly, over a ten-month period, August-May through Smart Tuition. There is a $45 administration fee for this service. A Smart Tuition enrollment application must be on file for every family making monthly payments. Applications are available in the school office.
A $40 follow up fee for late payments will be assessed through Smart Tuition. In addition, school families who are sixty days in arrears will be notified their child/children will not be allowed to attend school according to the “Non-Admission” specifications of this policy stated below.
Returned Checks and EFTs
Any tuition check and payment returned by the bank because of insufficient funds is subject to a service fee through Smart Tuition. Any check made out to the school and returned by the bank because of insufficient funds is subject to a $25 service fee through the school.
Non-Admission of Student Because of Delinquent Tuition and Fees
School families who fail to pay tuition and fees according to the agreement which they made with the school, or who have been unwilling to make suitable alternative arrangements with the school/parish business manager, will be informed that their child/children will not be readmitted to the school.
All families must be current in their payment of tuition and fees:
- by June 8th in order to be admitted on the first day of school.
- by December 20th in order to be re-admitted on the first day of class in January and to receive semester report card.
- by May 25th in order to receive report card and permanent record.
In addition, families will not be permitted to re-enroll their children for the coming year if all fees and tuition from the previous year have not been paid in full.
Families withdrawing students prior to the first day of school shall be refunded all prepaid tuition. All registration and book/activity fees are non-refundable.
If a student withdraws before the end of the school year, tuition will be refunded for the remaining months not attended.
Financial Aid K-8
Scholarship and tuition aid are offered at St. Mary and Pope John Paul II Catholic Schools to help offset the cost of a Catholic education. Financial aid options, including state choice (voucher) scholarships, scholarship granting organization (SGO) scholarships and parish tuition assistance are available to help families with the cost of tuition for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Need for financial aid should be made known at the time of registration.
State Choice (Voucher) Scholarship
School choice allows parents the freedom to send their child to the school that best meets his/her needs. You may apply for this scholarship if you qualify. To see if your student(s) qualify for this scholarship click State Choice Scholarship (Voucher) qualification or contact the school office for assistance. Application is made through the school office after admission.
The Indiana’s SGO Scholarship program was created in 2009 as a way to give families who meet income guidelines an opportunity to send their child to a participating private school. Need-based scholarships are available for students in K through 8th grade. To see if your student(s) qualify for this scholarship click SGO Scholarship qualification . Applications and assistance are available in the school office.
Parish Tuition Assistance
Parish tuition assistance is made possible through parent volunteer support of the Knights of Columbus Bingo program. You can help fund the parish tuition assistance program by volunteering with the Bingo program. Please inquire at the school office.
Applying for Financial Aid
For the 2017-2018 school year, tuition assistance applications must be submitted to our third party evaluation company (FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment) no later than May 15, 2017 along with all necessary paperwork and a $30 fee. Each application is reviewed in confidence and families are notified by late June of their eligibility to receive an award. Your $30 application fee will be credited to your tuition balance.
Families who will need financial assistance for the SGO scholarship or parish tuition assistance must complete an application at https://online.factsmgt.com/aid to be considered for aid. The application fee of $30 will be credited to your upcoming school year’s tuition after the application is completed.
If your student(s) qualify for an SGO scholarship, complete an SGO scholarship application and the online FACTS application.
Throughout the school year, circumstances may change, i.e. loss of job or family illness, which may make it impossible to make all tuition payments. In these cases, it is the family’s responsibility to contact the Parish Business Manager to make financial arrangements.